Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Snow White and the Huntsman


(Movie, 2012)

I wanted to watch SWatH mainly because of Charlize Theron. She’s one of my favorite actresses not only because she’s stunningly beautiful, but mainly because she’s one hell of an actress. She can be really persuasive when she’s bitchy (watch Young Adult for instance) yet she can also effortlessly obtain your is sympathy if that’s the character she’s playing. And yes, I was not disappointed with her in this movie. I agree with other critics saying this movie should be titled “Queen Ravenna”. Other characters were good, too, like the seven dwarfs. Though Kristen Stewart was “not in her worst” in movie, I cannot say that this is her best performance either. It is just a so-so. She wasn’t convincing especially when she gave that speech to attack the palace. Kristen, please stop that heavy breathing act with your mouth open whenever you’re zoomed in by the camera. You look like you’re having asthma attack. And thumbs down to the writers who tried to focus the “love” story between Snow White and the Huntsman. Next time you do that, please make sure there is chemistry between the two actors.

And by the way, why did they make Chris Hemsworth narrate? I was having goosebumps listening to him… And not in a good way! He sounds like one of those steroid-using individuals, if you know what I mean.  



Casting & Acting:        8.0
Cinematography:       10.0
Overall Production:    10.0
Plot/Story:                 7.0
Rating:                     8.75
_____________________________________________________________

Edit

I had to change my rating on this movie after watching Princess Mononoke. Before, I saw some posts on 9gag and tumblr comparing a scene where Snow White bowed down to a deer-like creature in the forest. Some say that the scene was copied from Princess Mononoke, others say the whole forest was copied from the said movie. I have to agree. Although Princess Mononoke is a cartoon (and in 2D), the whole concept was lifted by SWATH. The small white doll-like creatures in PM were like the cute fairy-like kids in SWATH. In this regard, I have to modify my rating in consideration of originality. 

Casting & Acting:        8.0
Cinematography:       10.0
Overall Production:    8.0
Plot/Story:                 7.0
Rating:                     8.25


No comments:

Post a Comment